Limited Submission Program FAQs
- What is a Limited Submission?
- What is a Coordinated Submission?
- What documents are required for submitting to Limited Submissions?
- Where can I find the Limited Submissions Cover Sheet?
- Where can I find a Limited Submissions budget template?
- Where can I find instructions on how to submit a pre-proposal to Limited Submissions?
- How are programs determined to be a Limited Submission?
- Whom do I contact if I have questions regarding Limited Submissions?
- How are Limited Submission pre-proposals reviewed?
- Who serve as Limited Submissions reviewers?
- How do I sign up to receive weekly funding announcements?
- After my pre-proposal is selected as the campus applicant/nominee, do I need to submit documents to Sponsored Programs?
Often a sponsor will impose a limitation on the number of applications/proposals that an institution can submit (usually one or two) to a specific RFA. Generally, these programs allow the campus to submit only one or two proposals for each application cycle. Limited submission programs are internally coordinated in order to ensure that UC Davis sends only the allowable number of proposals. When a sponsor imposes such a limit, the Office of Research coordinates the process for selecting the applicant(s) who may submit a proposal/application for that program.
A coordinated submission program is a funding program in which the sponsor imposes specific restrictions on applications submitted by an institution to a specific Request for Applications (RFA). Such restrictions may include certification that multiple proposals are not duplicative or for similar equipment or projects. Coordinated submission programs are internally reviewed to ensure all applications submitted by the university are eligible.
Each internal announcement indicates what documents are required for the relevant program announcement. All internal applications/pre-proposals require completion of the budget form in the Research Funding system unless otherwise noted. Internal announcements can be viewed and applied to in the Research Funding system by logging in with your campus Kerberos ID.
In general, the following are required for submitting to Limited Submissions:
- The completed budget form. This is required for all internal applications/pre-proposals unless otherwise noted in the individual announcement.
- A two-page (maximum) project description that adequately addresses the program goals and objectives.
- A four-page (maximum, each) CV for PI and all Co-PI’s, which contains a list of relevant research funding and publications and awards in the past five years.
The Limited Submissions Cover Sheet is no longer necessary. Complete internal pre-proposals in the Research Funding system.
The budget form is now completed and submitted online in the Research Funding system.
Internal pre-proposals are submitted online via the Research Funding system. Full instructions for using the Research Funding system are available in the User Guide. [PDF]
Complete the following steps to submit an internal application for review:
- Log-in to https://researchfunding.ucdavis.edu with your campus Kerberos ID.
- Identify the funding opportunity to which you intend to apply. Note: The year filter is determined by the sponsor’s deadline. Choose 2014 for opportunities to which sponsor deadlines are in 2014.
- Select “Interested” to let the Limited Submissions Program know of your intent to apply.
- Select “Apply Now” and follow the prompts to submit your application. Note: You may save a draft to complete later.
- Select “Submit” once your application is complete.
Limited Submissions programs are determined by the sponsoring agency. The Limited Submissions Program Coordinator searches various sources, including sponsor websites and Pivot (http://pivot.cos.com), to identify funding opportunities in which the sponsor has imposed a limitation on the number of applications/proposals that an institution may submit. When a sponsor imposes such a limit, the Office of Research coordinates the process for selecting the applicant(s) that may submit a proposal/application for that program.
If you have questions concerning the Limited Submissions program, please contact the Program Coordinator at (530) 754-7738 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unless otherwise indicated in the Limited Submissions program announcement, Limited Submissions are reviewed on the following criteria.
- The PI’s CV/qualifications in the specific area of research
- The quality of the project description
- The relevance or “match” between the proposed project and the program requirements
- The impact or “importance” of the proposed project
- Any other factors relevant and appropriate to the funding program such as cultural competency; public outreach efforts; underrepresented groups/minorities; quality of the evaluation design; the comments from previous submissions to the same program – if applicable – and the current proposal’s responsiveness to those comments; the likelihood of success
A review committee consisting of faculty representatives from the relevant schools, colleges, and/or divisions is formed to provide a recommendation to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Research. The representatives are determined based upon which colleges, schools, and/or divisions submit pre-proposals for the specific program.
You can subscribe to receive weekly email notifications using your UC Davis email account. Please subscribe by selecting the appropriate link below. You may be required to authenticate prior to subscribing to a list.
After your browser opens the page, click on the ‘Subscribe’ link at the top of the bottom box on the left of your screen.
After my pre-proposal is selected as the campus applicant/nominee, do I need to submit documents to Sponsored Programs?
Yes, you need to submit your proposal through the Sponsored Programs unit, as usual, before submitting to the sponsor. Limited Submissions is not part of the Sponsored Programs unit and does not have authority to submit your proposal.