Office of Research Transfer Research Material or Data - Office of Research

Transfer Research Material or Data

When you want to transfer or receive tangible research material or raw datasets (but not databases, which are protected by copyright) with another researcher or company, whether non-profit or commercial, having an advance agreement is necessary. The goal is to prevent misunderstandings about who has which rights to do what to/with the material, to address liability for flaws or problems that may occur, and to make sure you can publish under academic freedom. The most common way to do this is via a material transfer agreement (MTA) or data transfer agreement (DTA).

It is critical that these are completed before the material or data is actually transferred. Unfortunately, these agreements are sometimes low priority for other institutions, so advance notice can help us meet your deadlines. To begin this process, send a completed request form to the UC Davis InnovationAccess Material Transfer Team. You can contact for assistance completing the form.

Material Transfer (MTA), Data Transfer (DTA) or Confidentiality Agreement (CDA) Request Form – (DOC)


Additional Information

  • Loans of equipment, whether for commercial or research use, are done through Materiel Management to ensure they are covered by university insurance. For more information on equipment loan agreements, go here.
  • MTAs or DTAs involving human subjects or human materials may require an Institutional Review Board (IRB) Approval or Exemption, or Stem Cell Research Oversight Committee (SCRO) approval for stem cell lines.
  • DTAs involving the disclosure of patient health information should be directed to Health System Contracts, as there are particular needs to comply with HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).
  • UC is a signatory to the Uniform Biological Material Transfer Agreement (UBMTA), established by the NIH in 1995. When exchanging materials with other institutions who have signed on to the program, the contract process can be simple and fast. (UBMTA agreements must be prepared and signed by UC Davis InnovationAccess.)
  • Several units at UC Davis are authorized to negotiate and sign confidentiality agreements, also known as CDAs, non-disclosure agreements or secrecy agreements. For more information on confidentiality agreements, go here.

If you have any questions or if you need additional information, please contact us.