Office of Research For Researchers & Faculty - Office of Research

For Researchers & Faculty

Submit a Record of Invention

The ideal time to disclose an invention to InnovationAccess is before it has been published or publicly presented. We are also more than glad to discuss your idea at any time even before you fill out the invention report and may be contacted at any time.

Request a Material Transfer Agreement

Often transferring or receiving tangible research material or raw datasets with another researcher or company, requires an agreement (MTA). The goal is to prevent misunderstandings about who has which rights to the material, to address liability for flaws or problems that may occur, and to make sure you can publish under academic freedom.  To begin this process, go here.

Consulting for Industry

Consulting with a company is an agreement between you as an individual and the company. That said, you have some overriding obligations to the university.

Types of Intellectual Property

The University of California, Davis develops a great deal of intellectual property. Learn about the different types of intellectual property, and how we protect each one here.

Learn About Copyright

As a public research university, our UC Davis community creates and uses myriads of copyrights in everything we do.  To learn more about copyright, go here.

Policies & Forms

To find UC and UC Davis policies regarding consulting, conflict of interest, patenting, distribution of licensing royalties, and other guidelines pertaining to research and commercialization of intellectual property, view Policies & Forms.


To find answers to common intellectual property and technology management related questions, go here.