This year UC Davis reached a major milestone, surpassing $1 billion in research funding, a goal achieved by fewer than 20 public universities across the nation. This accomplishment is the result of our exceptional research community and reflects a commitment to think beyond what is expected.
To celebrate, the Office of Research hosted a special event where some of our most visionary researchers and innovators shared their most audacious ideas untethered to expectations and intended to stimulate new thoughts, research, innovation and collaborations. Topics included health, technology, environment, spaceflight and more.
View Recording of Event
Opening remarks were made by Chancellor Gary S. May, Provost Mary Croughan, Vice Chancellor for Research Prasant Mohapatra and UC System Vice President for Research and Innovation Theresa Maldonado.
- David Block, Professor and Marvin Sands Department Chair, Department of Viticulture and Enology, Ernest Gallo Endowed Chair in Viticulture and Enology
- Diana L. Farmer, Distinguished Professor and Pearl Stamps Stewart Endowed Chair, Chair of the UC Davis Department of Surgery, Founder and Co-Director of the Department of Surgery Center for Surgical Bioengineering
- Maria Marco, Professor in the Department of Food Science and Technology, Chair of the Food Science Graduate Group
- Isabel P. Montañez, Distinguished Professor in the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences, Director of the Institute of the Environment
- Karen Moxon, Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Jan Nolta, Professor in the Department of Cell Biology and Human Anatomy, Director of the Institute for Regenerative Cures
- David E. Olson, Associate Professor in the Department of Chemistry and the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, Director of the Institute for Psychedelics and Neurotherapeutics
- Stephen K. Robinson, Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Director of the UC Davis Center for Spaceflight Research and Director of the NASA “Habitats Optimized for Missions of Exploration” Space Technology Research Institute
- Priya Shah, Assistant Professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering and the Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics