Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Sponsored Programs FAQs

Sponsored Programs FAQs

Communicating with Sponsored Programs

Sponsored Programs Data Sheet

Proposal Preparation & Submission

Awards Process



What is the most efficient way to get documents to Sponsored Programs?

It is most efficient for you to send your proposal to Sponsored Programs by emailing all of your proposal-related materials to If your file is too large to send through your regular email program, you can use eDocs to send your materials to

Return to Top

What is a Data Sheet?

The Data Sheet is designed to ensure that all campus requirements and approvals to conduct a sponsored project at UC Davis have been addressed. Sponsored Programs uses the Data Sheet to collect varied information on behalf of numerous campus departments and offices which have a direct relationship with sponsored projects reporting and compliance at UC Davis. We also use this form when entering data into our contract and grant database.

Return to Top

What does my signature on the Data Sheet mean?

In signing the Data Sheet, the Principal Investigator is making 35 certifications regarding compliance with uiniversity and sponsor policies as they relate to the proposal being submitted and to a subsequent award.  The department chair/division director is certifying that the project falls within the scope of the unit and that approval is given to commit departmental personnel and resources to the project, including general administrative costs and any cost sharing.  Please see the Data Sheet Instructions for a full description of the certifications made when signing the Data Sheet.

Return to Top

When do I need to use a Data Sheet?

  • When funds are requested that were not previously recorded on a Data Sheet (whether the request is new, a renewal, or for supplemental funding).

  • If Sponsored Programs is asked to review and sign an agreement regardless of whether funding is involved.

  • If the PI on the project is changing.

  • When a previously denied or withdrawn (unfunded) proposal has been revised and is being resubmitted to the sponsor.

  • For a continuation proposal where funds not previously requested are included in the continuation proposal.

  • For examples of when a Data Sheet should and should not be used, take a look at the Data Sheet Instructions

Return to Top

Why do I need to submit my proposal through OR-Sponsored Programs?

It is the policy of the University of California that faculty or other university employees who receive any part of their salary through the university, or whose activities use any university resources or facilities, must submit their proposals through the appropriate local contracts and grants office.

The Office of Research, Sponsored Programs serves in that capacity at the University of California, Davis and is the Davis campus office delegated to accept or execute extramurally sponsored awards on behalf of the Regents of the University of California. It is the responsibility of the Office of Research, Sponsored Programs to properly represent the university and to appropriately assist the faculty by ensuring that proposals are consistent with university policy and thus grants can be accepted if awarded.

Return to Top

I have a proposal to submit. Can I bring it over for you to sign while I wait?

Unfortunately, no.  Each proposal requires a detailed review before our office can sign/endorse on behalf of The Regents of the University of California. We require 5 business days prior to the sponsor deadline to complete this review. If you have an urgent deadline, please contact your proposal Contracts and Grants Officer. Find their contact information here.

Why am I being asked for things in my proposal package that I’ve never been asked for before?

Sponsored Programs has been working to improve consistency in our project review. You can see the items for which your assigned analyst will be reviewing by visiting our Proposal Review page.  One of the items analysts review for is sponsor and program specific requirements. Each project is subject to sponsor guidelines specific to that project, as well as university policy. In addition, new regulations from the federal government and the State of California may impact the type of information we are legally required to request from you.  If you are concerned about an item that has been requested by your assigned analyst, please contact your Contracts and Grants Officer. Find their contact information here.

Return to Top

What forms and other information will I need to submit a proposal?

The minimum required forms for Sponsored Programs' review are a completed, signed Data Sheet, complete application package (including a scope of work, budget and budget justification, and subcontractor information if applicable), financial conflict of interest disclosure forms (as applicable).  For more information, please see Preparing your Proposal.

Return to Top

Why do I need a budget justification?

Sponsored Programs reviews budgets for allowability and allocability of estimated costs, and uses the budget justification to assist in assessing allowability and allocability.  A budget justification should contain sufficient detail of the basis for your cost estimates to explain how each item is related to carrying out this project.

How should I account for composite benefit rates when my budget crosses fiscal years?

According to Costing Policy and Analysis, “If you are budgeting for a project that crosses fiscal years, then you will need to adjust the fringe benefit rates for the employees accordingly.” For example, if the project duration is from January 1, 2011 (FY11) to December 31, 2011 (FY12), you would charge the FY11 rate for the January 1 to June 30 portion of the project and the FY12 rate for the July 1 to December 31 portion of the project.

For more information about this topic, please visit their Composite Benefit Rate FAQ page or contact the Costing Policy & Analysis Office at (530)752-4621.

Return to Top

When can I use the off-campus F&A (indirect cost) rate?

In general, you should use the off-campus F&A rate when the project is conducted at facilities that are not owned or leased by the university. You should also use the off-campus F&A rate if the project is conducted in leased space, and the cost of the lease is direct charged to the project. In some situations, work on the project may be conducted partially on and partially off campus. In these cases, you should use either the on or off campus rate, consistent with where the majority of the work is to be performed. Salary costs are generally accepted as a measure of work to be performed in terms of the total project. In these situations, it would be prudent for you to contact your proposal Contracts and Grants Officer. They can assist you with determining the appropriate F&A rate for your project. For more details about using the off campus F&A rate, you should refer to page 6 of the Rate Agreement.

Return to Top

How much do I charge on my budget for tuition and fees?

Please visit for the current estimated fees.

Return to Top

How much should I escalate graduate fees each year?

The office of Budget Resource Management has approved a 10% escalation of student fees per year.

Return to Top

Can I charge leave accrual to my project?

No, you cannot. According to our federally negotiated rate agreement, leave accrual is part of the salary of each eligible employee, and is never allowable as a separate direct charge. See page 5 of the Rate Agreement for more details.

Can I charge GAEL (General, Automobile & Employment Practice Liability) insurance to my project?

That depends on whether the prime sponsor is the federal government. You should never charge GAEL to a federal award, because the federal government self-insures government owned property against damage or loss. However, if you are developing a non-federal proposal budget, you must list GAEL as a budget-line item (UCOP Contracts & Grants Manual, Chapter 7-207). For information about the GAEL program at UC Davis, please contact Risk Management.

Return to Top

I have an award agreement that arrived in our department directly from the sponsor. Can I bring it over for you to sign while I wait?

Unfortunately, we are unable to immediately sign award agreements. You should forward the award agreement and any associated documents to Sponsored Programs, either in person or electronically ( or use eDocs). We will need to review and possibly negotiate the agreement’s terms and conditions to ensure that the agreement conforms to the policies and regulations of the university. If you have concerns or other questions about how to proceed, please contact your award Contracts and Grants Officer. Find their contact information here.

Return to Top

Sponsored Programs is holding my award because I don't have an approved IRB protocol. What are my options?

An approved IRB protocol is required to be in place before any work involving human subjects can take place. Without confirmation of this documentation, Sponsored Programs cannot release the award for a project. If funds are required to start work that does not involve human subjects, please contact the IRB Administration to obtain administrative approval.

Return to Top