Sponsored Programs: Essentials – Part 1: Introduction to SPO & Pre-Award
This class will provide you with an introduction to the services provided by the Office of Research – Sponsored Programs (OR/SPO), as well as a comprehensive look at the Pre-Award process. This overview of the Sponsored Programs Office is designed to empower participants with key information and best practices to successfully navigate campus procedures in the submission of proposals. Additionally, you will receive general information about UC and UC Davis policies, and OR/SPO practices that must be adhered to in order to efficiently route proposals through OR/SPO for approval before being forwarded to the prospective sponsors. This course will be relevant for those new to the sponsored projects enterprise, and in light of recent changes may also be valuable to more experienced personnel.
- January 26, 2016 – 1:00 – 4:00 pm, Hoagland Hall Rm. 136
- March 7, 2017 – 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, Hoagland Hall Rm. 136
Sponsored Programs: Essentials – Part 2: Post-Award
This comprehensive overview of the Award and Post-award functions of the Sponsored Programs Office is designed to empower participants with key information and best practices to successfully navigate campus procedures for research awards. Topics of this course include:
- “Which campus office processes this document: SPO, Campus Contracting, Health Contracts, or Development?”
- “Is this a Gift or a Grant?”
- “Why does SPO have to negotiate terms in my award? Is SPO being too nit-picky?”
- “Help – I need a subaward!”
This course will be relevant and readily useful to both experienced, campus constituents, as well as those new to UC Davis.
- November 17, 2015 – 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, Heightman Learning Center, Hamilton room
- March 8, 2016 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, Hoagland Hall Rm. 136
- April 20, 2017 – 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, Heitman Staff Learning Center, Hamilton Classroom
Proposal Preparation and Submission
This course will help you to obtain the information needed to prepare and submit a proposal through the Sponsored Programs Office at UC Davis. Topics include: when you might use extramural funding for; types of sponsors, types of proposals and awards, principal investigator eligibility, understanding a call for proposals, proposal guidelines, components of a proposal, institutional forms, department research administrator steps, and how to submit a proposal to Sponsored Programs. After completing this course, attendees should be able to successfully compile a proposal packet and submit it to Sponsored Programs.
- January 27, 2016 – 9:00 am -12:00 pm, Hoagland Hall Rm. 136
- March 10, 2017 – 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, Heitman Staff Learning Center, Hamilton Classroom
Writing a Proposal Budget: Concepts
In this on-line course, participants will learn about the components and principles of a project budget and how these lead to the development of a final proposal budget. Topics covered include: cost components that make up a budget, universal cost principles applicable to preparing project budgets, budgeting techniques and practices, calculating F&A costs, and budgeting tools and resources. This course is a prerequisite for “Writing a Proposal Budget: Lab.”
Writing a Proposal Budget: Lab
In this session, attendees will apply the knowledge they obtained in the online class “Writing a Proposal Budget: Concepts”. Attendees will use case studies, sample forms, and group discussion to learn how to successfully complete a proposal budget. Applied activities include topics such as determining budget categories, determining appropriate F&A rate, applying and calculating the correct F&A rate, creating a budget justification, and more
- February 14, 2017 – 9:00 am -12:00 pm, Hoagland Hall Rm. 136
Understanding the Awards Process
Once a sponsor elects to fund a proposal, the review, negotiation and award acceptance process begins. This course walks you through what is happening in the Sponsored Programs Office, and what to do when the accepted agreement arrives in your office.
Our Monthly Research Administration Forum is held on the 4th Wednesday of every month at The Office of Research – 1850 Research Park Dr., Conference Room 200. Please joint the Contracts & Grants listserv for additional updates and more information.
- Research Administration certificate Series (RACS)
- Grants.gov SF424 – Sample Cover Page
- eRA Commons Training Videos – NIH – electronic Research Administration (eRA)
- All About Indirect Costs – NIH “Rock Talk”
- Sponsored Programs Administration and Research Kiosk (SPARK)
- CITI User Guide – How to register for a CITI course
- Types of Intellectual Property
- UCOP Online Intellectual Property Courses
- SDPS – Staff Development and Professional Services (SDPS)
- Cayuse 424 training