Office of Research Animal Transfers, Import and Exports - Office of Research

Animal Transfers, Import and Exports

In order to protect the health status of the campus research animal population the campus attending veterinarian has instituted the following procedures.

Clinical disease as well as underlying subclinical infections can cause experiments to fail, introduce variables and cause erroneous results.  The strict control of animal traffic can help control the spread of disease and pathogen and protects research.  The Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals 8th edition has specific guidelines with regards to separation of animals of differing health status and overall biosecurity.  Our procedures are modeled after those guidelines

Please follow the link below to log into the Animal Tracking System (ATS) to submit a transfer from one protocol to another, one location to another (including moves from one room to another),  to request permission to import of animals or request permission to export animals.  Please see below for the exceptions related to agricultural animals and the CNPRC.

ATS System and supporting documents for imports or exports.

Import-Export Form

Please Contact with any questions about submitting an import, export or transfer request request if you have problems or questions about using ATS to perform this task or need further information about imports, exports or animal transfers.

You may not move, receive or send animals with out prior approval from the Campus Veterinarians Office, or appointed designee.  The agricultural stations and facilities are considered to be health equivalent and movement of agricultural animals is not processed through the ATS system. Approval authority is delegated to the facility managers.  The CNPRC manages movement of animals internally.  Movement into and out of biomedical facilities is processed through the ATS and subject to review by the health monitoring coordinator who is the designee of the attending veterinarian.

For imports and exports that require shipping the investigator is responsible for making all shipping arrangements.

For exports the investigator must receive permission from the receiving institution.  Once permission to ship has been granted the investigator must prepare the animals for shipping, call the carrier/courier and physically ship the animals.  Copy of the written or emailed permission to ship is required to be provided to the HMC or area veterinarian.

For imports the investigator must receive permission from the Campus Veterinarian or designee. Once permission to ship has been granted the investigator must ensure housing is available with the facility manager, and then arrange for the actual shipment of the animals to the animal facility.  Animals must be received at an animal facility they should not be shipped to labs unless prior authorization has been obtained from the Campus Veterinarian or designee.

An approved ATS transaction is permission to receive/import animals, you must arrange for housing with the facility manager prior to physically shipping any animals to UC Davis.