The Conflict of Interest Committee (COIC), with support from the Research Compliance & Integrity (RCI) Unit, reviews investigator disclosures of outside financial interests, determines whether the outside interest(s) constitute a real or apparent conflict of interest, and recommends to the Vice Chancellor of Research a plan to manage conflicts.
Conflict of Interest Committee (COIC)
The COIC reviews disclosures from the PI/Investigators that list one or more outside financial interests/significant financial interests (“positive” disclosures) to determine if a conflict of interest exists, and if so, recommends to the Vice Chancellor for Research a written plan for the management, reduction or elimination of a potential, perceived, or actual conflict of interest per the Policy and Procedure Manual (PPM), PPM 230-05 (Individual Conflicts of Interest Involving Research) and PPM 230-07 (Public Health Service Regulations on Objectivity in Research).
The COIC reports, through the Chairman of the Committee, to the Vice Chancellor for Research.
Members are appointed by the Vice Chancellor of Research for a three-year term.
The membership of the COIC is comprised of:
- UCD faculty (11 voting members) from the School of Medicine, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, College of Engineering, School of Veterinary Medicine, College of Biological Sciences, College of Letters & Science, and four at-large members as determined by the Chancellor, and amended bi-annually, as necessary.
- Four non-voting, ex-officio participants: Director-Sponsored Programs (SPO), Director-Institutional Review Board, Director-RCI, and Campus Counsel. Other non-voting ‘ad-hoc’ participants may assist in discussions and decisions as needed.
COIC Meeting Dates
The COIC meets once per month throughout the year on the second Tuesday of the month from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Note: The Document Submission Deadline indicated below is the cut-off time for financial disclosures to be reviewed by the COIC at that month’s meeting. Disclosures submitted via the eCOI system or to RCI after this deadline are not guaranteed to be placed on the COIC agenda for that month.
Fiscal Year 2021/2022
Document Submission Deadline
|June 8, 2021||June 4, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.|
|July 13, 2021||July 9, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.|
|August 10, 2021||August 6, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.|
|September 14, 2021||September 10, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.|
|October 12, 20241||October 8, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.|
|November 9, 2021||November 5, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.|
|December 14, 2021||December 10, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.|
Examples of Outside Activities That May Create a Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI)
- Holding equity interests (e.g. stock) in an entity that sponsors, supports, or otherwise has a potential financial interest in the outcome of your UCD research
- Holding any of these positions in an entity that sponsors, supports, or otherwise has a potential financial interest in the outcome of your UCD research:
- Office or membership on a board of committee
- Director, officer, partner, trustee, employee, or management (without or without income or equity)
- Founder, co-founder, or shareholder
- Accepting the following from an entity that sponsors, supports, or otherwise has a potential financial interest in the outcome of your UCD research:
- Travel reimbursement from a sponsor to attend board meetings.
- Honoraria for lectures at companies whose financial interests are affected by your University research.
- Income, gifts, or loans
- Consulting income where the consulting activity could reasonably appear to be related to the research project.
- Financial interest in a business entity that:
- Develops, manufactures, or improves a product or offers services related to the research project.
- Will act as a vendor, subcontractor, lessor, or other participant on the research project
- Is related to intellectual property in which the investigator is named as an inventor if the research project could reasonably appear to be affected by the interest.