Sponsoring agencies provide listings of funding announcements and other pertinent information about obtaining research funding. Visit federal agencies, state agencies, non-profit organizations and other sponsors’ websites to learn about the funding opportunities they provide. If the sponsor limits the number of proposals an institution may submit, investigators will first need to submit an internal (Limited Submission) pre-proposal in the Research Funding system: https://researchfunding.ucdavis.edu.
Early Career Researcher Funding
There are various resources and funding opportunities available to support early career researchers. Many of the funding programs are only available to researchers at the assistant professor level, whereas others are also available to postdoctoral scholars and graduate students.
Early Career Researcher Listserv
The Funding Opportunities Program Coordinator distributes funding opportunities aimed at supporting early career researchers via the firstname.lastname@example.org listserv. The posted opportunities can also be accessed in the Research Funding system.
Research Funding System
The Research Funding system is the resource for limited submissions and other research funding opportunities at UC Davis. Researchers may identify funding opportunities and submit internal pre-proposals to limited submission and coordinated submission programs.
Select the “Junior Investigators” search tag to filter the list to funding programs intended to support early career investigator research and/or career development.
Pivot is a great tool for finding funding opportunities and potential collaborators both within and external to UC Davis. Researchers can create unique funding searches, choose to receive weekly emails based on those searches, track relevant opportunities, and view curated lists in addition to creating a funding search based on the account holder’s profile. Create your profile today to receive the full benefits of Pivot at no charge to you!
The Funding Opportunities Program Coordinator created the following advanced searches for the use of early career investigators on campus. Search results for the most recent week will display. Select “All” near the top of the page to view all results. You may save a search to your Pivot account to improve the relevance to your research.
- College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- College of Biological Sciences
- College of Engineering
- Division of Humanities, Arts and Cultural Sciences (College of Letters and Science)
- Division of Mathematical and Physical Sciences (College of Letters and Science)
- Division of Social Sciences (College of Letters and Science)
- Graduate School of Management
- School of Education
- School of Law
- School of Medicine
- School of Nursing
- School of Veterinary Medicine
UC Davis Office of Research Funding Programs
COVID-Impacted Research Funding
The COVID-Impacted Research Funding Program provides one-time funding to eligible Principal Investigators (PIs) who have had to curtail research activities due to the pandemic. The curtailment of research activities means that there is lost research productivity on projects that require in-person and/or on-site activities. For PIs with extramural funding this lost productivity may mean that their funding may run out before the project is completed. Faculty who do not have externally-funded research, such as those in some social science, arts, and humanities disciplines, may also have used limited existing resources for research support but were not able to get the expected level of support due to COVID-19. Given this situation, there are concerns that early career faculty, as well as graduate students, are disproportionately affected by the lost research productivity as the research is necessary to achieve tenure, progress in their series, and complete their degrees.
Applications must be submitted by Friday, October 30, 2020.
- Review the program guidelines and note any additional required documents
- Complete the Internal Research Funding Programs Application Form [DOC]
- Submit Internal Research Funding Program form with required signatures of approval, and any additional required documents to ORBusiness@ucdavis.edu (by mail or delivery to: Office of Research, Attn: Business & Finance, 1850 Research Park Drive, Suite 300, Davis, CA 95618)
Principal Investigator (PI) Bridge Program
This program provides one-time funding to PI’s who have lost or will lose their primary extramural funding. Funds ensure the continuation of a research project for an interim period until extramural support can be re-established.
School of Medicine PI’s, please review this document: SOM Bridge Funding Request Process
Proposal Preparation and Matching Funds Program
The Proposal Preparation and Matching Funds Program has four components.
- Equipment Match: Provides cost sharing or matching funds for equipment when required by an external sponsor
- Cost Sharing: Provides matching funds for proposals to government and not-for-profit organizations when required by the sponsor
- Multidisciplinary Proposal Support: Provides project development support (e.g. clerical, travel, supplies and expendables, or grant writing assistance)
- Basic Research Grants: Supports the development of new Organized Research Units (ORUs), Organized Research Programs (ORPs) or new research centers
Important Deadlines: Funding requests to support grant proposals or contracts must be provided to the Office of Research at least five (5) weeks prior to funding agency deadline if the funding request involves participation from three or more schools or colleges, or at least three (3) weeks prior to funding agency deadline if less than three schools or colleges are involved.
Any funding requests NOT submitted within these time periods may not be considered for funding.
Publication Assistance Fund
The Publications Assistance Fund assists ladder faculty, particularly those early in their career, with the publication of books or monographs and exhibition or performance of works of art representative of University of California standards. The intent of the fund is to defray certain costs that would not normally be covered by the publisher, thus enhancing the possibility of the work to be published. This program is co-sponsored by the Office of Research and the participating colleges and schools.
Other UC Davis Funding Programs
- Academic Senate Research & Travel Grants
- Advising Services, Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- Alzheimer’s Disease Center Pilot Research Grants
- California National Primate Research Center Pilot Research Program
- Comprehensive Cancer Center Institutional Research Grant Program
- Comprehensive Cancer Center Support Grant Developmental Awards
- Innovation Seed Fund
- Latino Aging Research Resource Center Pilot Grant Program
- School of Medicine Bridge Funding Program
- Seed Grants for Outreach and International Activities
- Air Force Office of Scientific Research
- Army Research Office
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Department of Defense)
- Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- USDA Cooperative State Research Service
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Education
- Department of Energy (DOE)
- Director of Defense Research and Engineering (DDRE) (Department of Defense)
- Federal Laboratory Consortium
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH)
- National Institute of Standards & Technology
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Naval Research Laboratory (Office of Naval Research)
- Office for Human Research Protections
- Office of Science and Technology Policy
State of California Agencies
- California Arts Council
- California Department of Education
- California Department of Food and Agriculture
- California Department of Pesticide Regulation
- California Department of Toxic Substances Control
- California Department of Transportation
- California Department of Water Resources
- California Energy Commission
- California Environmental Protection Agency
- California Environmental Protection Agency Air Resources Board
- California Environmental Protection Agency State Water Resources Control Board
- California Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development
- California Institute for Regenerative Medicine
- California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways
- Employment Training Panel
- State Council on Developmental Disabilities
- State of California Coastal Conservancy
- State of California Ocean Protection Council
- State of California Sacramento – San Joaquin Delta Conservancy
- State of California Sierra Nevada Conservancy
- State of California Wildlife Conservation Board
University of California
Non-Profit Organizations and Private Foundations
Interested investigators should contact the Office of Foundation and Corporate Giving before contacting or submitting an application to a private foundation. The Office of Foundation and Corporate Giving provides assistance in making meaningful connections with foundations and in identifying proposal support services. Email email@example.com for more information.
- Rita Allen Foundation
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Honda Foundation
- Amgen Foundation
- Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation
- St. Baldrick’s Foundation
- Brain Research Foundation
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund
- Creative Work Fund
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- The Camille & Henry Dreyfus Foundation, Inc.
- Greenwall Foundation
- Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr. Foundation
- W.M. Keck Foundation
- The McKnight Foundation
- The Kenneth T. and Eileen L. Norris Foundation
- The David & Lucile Packard Foundation
- PETSMART Charities
- Pew Charitable Trust
- Searle Scholars Program
- Sierra Health Foundation
- Simons Foundation
- SIR Foundation