The following materials have been developed to assist with proposal budgeting.
- How does SP calculate salary? Salary is calculated automatically through HR Connect. Salary information will updated to the latest information available in PPS twice per month. If you make changes to this in your Cayuse 424 professional profile, those changes will be overwrote to match the PPS system during the next update.
- What does “allocation of credit” mean? “Allocation of credit” is determined by the lead principal investigator to demonstrate the contribution of the lead principal investigator and co-investigators for a specific project. This data will be used for ad hoc reports from campus leadership regarding investigator productivity and contribution to campus research. These reports are often requested in the context such as retention, space allocation and invitations for panel discussion participation, etc. “Allocation of credit” must equal 100% across all Key Personnel on the Investigators/Research Team tab. If “allocation of credit” is not entered on the IPF received, Sponsored Programs will allocate the credit equally across the lead principal investigator and co-investigators.
- Is an internal budget required? A detailed internal budget is strongly encouraged even when not required by the sponsor. This aids Sponsored Programs in conducting a detailed and accurate review. This should be uploaded in the Proposal Attachments section. Select the document type of “Budget”. SPO encourages use of the OR Budget Templates.
- What document type should I select when uploading the budget spreadsheet or internal budget as a Proposal Attachment? For all submissions for SPO review, select the document type of “Budget”. Note that “Budget (UCD Health) should only be selected when submitting an industry-sponsored clinical trial protocol for review by the UC Davis Health Contracts Clinical Trials Contracts Office.
- Can budget and submission notes be marked as private? A note’s access can be limited to unit approvers and administrators. The budget comment box is visible to anyone who has access to the proposal.
- How do I enter/indicate cost sharing on the Cayuse SP Budget form? Is anything else required? Instructions for entering cost sharing is available in the Cayuse SP Handbook for PIs, Department C&G Staff and Approvers. All cost sharing commitments must be indicated in a signed letter or email from the committing unit (if internal) or organization (if external) and uploaded in Proposal Attachments.
- Why is my modular budget from Cayuse 424 not showing? Do not use the pair with 424 functionality in SP.
- Will Cayuse SP accept 0% for the F&A Rate? Yes. Cayuse SP does accept 0% for the F&A Rate. Enter 0% in the F&A Rate text field the bottom of the F&A Rate pop-up screen and select Change Rate. Do not enter an amount in the relevant Base for F&A field(s). Instead, include that amount in the Sponsor Direct Costs field.
- OR Budget Templates – 1-page list of OR budget templates with descriptions and links
- Preparing a Proposal Budget Handbook – Comprehensive 27-page document on preparing a proposal budget
- Common Budget Formulas – 1-page summary of proposal budget formulas
- Budget Justification Checklist – 1-page budget justification checklist
- Calculating Facilities & Administration (F&A) Costs – 1-page summary of eligible direct costs and formulas to calculate F&A costs
- Guidance for submitting proposals/IPFs that involve cost sharing – 6-page guidance
- Research Development Toolbox – Kerberos-protected Box folder with extensive materials developed by UC Davis Interdisciplinary Research Support (IRS). Note the Budget and Research Admin Resources folder.
- F&A and Fringe Benefit Rates – Lists with current Facilities & Administration (indirect cost) rates and employee benefit rates
“How To…” videos on YouTube:
Note: if a video doesn’t start on the first try, refresh the video and it should then work.
- How to Use the OR Budget Templates (length: 30:17)
- Annualizing Salary (length: 1:37)
- Calculating Salary to Charge (length: 1:12)
- Calculating Annualized Effort and Person-Months (length: 4:04)
- Preparing a Proposal Budget: Basics (eCourse) – This UC Learning Center course covers budgeting components and principles and how these lead to the development of a final proposal budget. Topics covered include universal cost principles applicable to preparing project budgets, calculating F&A costs, budgeting techniques and practices, and preparing a budget justification. The course takes approximately 1 hour and is a required prerequisite for the Instructor-Led Training, ‘Preparing a Proposal Budget: Lab’.
- “Unlocked” Preparing a Proposal Budget: Basics eCourse – this version will not earn you course credit but allows you to navigate to any section (using the menu on left) to find information you seek.
- Preparing a Proposal Budget: Lab (Instructor-Led Training) – UC Learning Center class: Participants will put into practice the topics covered in the ‘Preparing a Proposal Budget: Basics’ eCourse. Using case studies, sample forms and group discussion, participants will practice completing a proposal budget. Applied activities include determining budget categories, applying and calculating the correct F&A rate, and creating a budget justification.
- Common Proposal Budgeting Formulas (aka Proposal Budgeting Formulas) – UC Learning Center e-course: Brief tutorial on performing common proposal budget calculations, including annualizing salary and calculating annual effort commitment.” (length: ~12:00)
- Proposal Budget Development: Using the OR Budget Templates – SPO Training Video (YouTube) on proposal budget development (length: 1:55:50)
- Proposal Budget Development Presentation (Using the OR Budget Templates) – Slide deck for SPO Training Video: Proposal Budget Development: Using the OR Budget Templates
- Proposal Budget Entry Exercises – 3-page lab scenario for SPO Training Video: Proposal Budget Development: Using the OR Budget Templates
- OR Budget Templates (Use the Single Budget template) – 1-page list of OR budget templates with descriptions and links
- Proposal Budgeting Basics – 58-page slide presentation for SPO Training: Proposal Budgeting Basics (no video recording at this time)
- Proposal Budgeting Basics Workbook – 14-page workbook to accompany SPO Training: Proposal Budgeting Basics
- Preparing a Cost Proposal Budget – Copies of slides from SPO Training: Preparing a Cost Proposal Budget (no video recording at this time)
- Proposal Budget Development: Using the OR Budget Templates – Video recording of a 1h 50min quarterly Research Administration Workshop that took place via Zoom October 27, 2022