Fringe Benefit Rates
Select the sponsor type below to see the current rates. The current rates are also include the OR Budget Templates.
UC Davis F&A and Fringe Benefits Rate Agreement for the period of 07/01/2013 through 06/30/2018.
|July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014||54.5% MTDC||26.0% MTDC|
|July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2015||55.5% MTDC||26.0% MTDC|
|July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2016||56.5% MTDC||26.0% MTDC|
|July 1, 2016 through June 30, 2018||57.0% MTDC||26.0% MTDC|
|OTHER SPONSORED ACTIVITIES|
|July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014||37.0% MTDC||24.0% MTDC|
|July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2015||38.0% MTDC||24.5% MTDC|
|July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2016||38.5% MTDC||24.5% MTDC|
|July 1, 2016 through June 30, 2018||39.0% MTDC||25.0% MTDC|
|CLINICAL TRIALS (See Clinical Trials tab for more information)|
|February 1, 2006 and beyond*||26% TDC||26% TDC|
|July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2018||50.0% MTDC||26.0% MTDC|
|Effective Period||Core Grant||Non-Core Fed|
|July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2018||22.70% MTDC||54.40% MTDC|
The current rates established for State of California funding, except funding from the CDFA, in RPAC Memo 17-07 have been revised as follows.
|STATE OF CALIFORNIA FUNDING (except CDFA)|
|July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019||25%||25%|
|July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020||30%||25%|
|July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021||35%||25%|
|July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2022||40%||25%|
|CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF FOOD & AGRICULTURE (CDFA)|
|Beginning July 1, 2019||25%||25%|
- These rates do not apply when the state is acting as a pass-through entity of federal funds. The appropriate UC federally negotiated F&A Rate will apply to State agency awards made with federal funding. Please see 2 CFR § 200.414 and 2 CFR § 200.331.
- For State awards, the rate in effect for the first year of a multi-year project will be the rate used for the entire project in proposed and awarded budgets. If additional funds (not previously appropriated or budgeted) are awarded by a State agency; the proposed budget for these additional funds would use the UC-approved state rate in effect at the time the new budget request is submitted.
As an exception to recovery of our federally-negotiated Facilities and Administrative (F&A or “indirect”) cost applicable to research at UC Davis, effective February 2006, “Clinical Trials”, as defined below are subject to 26% indirect, Total Direct Cost (TDC).
Definition of “Clinical Trial”, for the purpose of application of 26% F&A: The controlled, clinical testing in human subjects of investigational new drugs, devices, treatments, or diagnostics, or comparisons of approved drugs, devices, treatments, or diagnostics, to assess their safety, efficacy, benefits, costs, adverse reactions, and/or outcomes. Such studies may be conducted under an industry-developed protocol or an investigator-developed protocol.
For additional details, please see the Indirect Cost Rate Applicable to Clinical Trials.
- UC Office of the President Guidance Memo 17-06 – provides further discussion and guidance on State of California Model Agreement and indirect cost applicable to State-funded awards.
- Chapter 8 of the UC Contract and Grant Manual
- UC Costing Policy and Analysis: Facilities and Administration (F&A) Rates/Recovery
- Facilities that may use “Off Campus” F&A rate (PDF)
- Indirect Cost Return Program (Directive 95-094) Indirect Cost Recovery Reports from the UC Davis Office of Resource Management and Planning
- UCOP information about F&A (indirect cost) Rates and Recovery