The following materials have been developed to assist with use of the Cayuse SP system, through which all proposals for Sponsored Programs review and approval must be submitted.
Once routed and authorized via Cayuse SP, proposals are submitted through external electronic Research Administration (eRA) systems such as Cayuse 424, which is used for all submissions to grants.gov (in place of Workspace).
Cayuse SP FAQs
- How do I establish a Role Manager for my unit? To establish a Role Manager or change Role Manager assignments, the unit head completes the Cayuse SP Role Delegation Authorization Form and submits it to ORCayuseHelp@ucdavis.edu with the Role Manager assignment request. In the body of the email, please include the name of the people to add or remove as a Role Manager and their email address.
- How do I obtain access to Cayuse SP or Cayuse 424? Is training required to obtain access to/ or submit proposals in Cayuse SP or Cayuse 424? You should be able to access Cayuse SP and Cayuse 424 with your Kerberos. If you are unable to login, email ORCayuseHelp@ucdavis.edu and provide your Kerberos ID, UC Davis email address and employee ID. No training is required to access and/or submit proposals in Cayuse SP or Cayuse 424. However, Sponsored Programs offers many user guides and training materials on this page.
- I receive an error message when attempting to login to Cayuse SP or 424. What do I do? If you are using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, please clear your cache/browser history and try again. If you still cannot login, email ORCayuseHelp@ucdavis.edu and provide details of what you are experiencing. If possible, please also provide a screenshot. If you are not using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, please try again in one of those browsers. If you still cannot login, email ORCayuseHelp@ucdavis.edu and provide details of what you are experiencing. If possible, please also provide a screenshot.
- Cayuse SP went down. It’s now back online, but I still cannot login. What should I do? First clear the Cookies/Cache in your browser. Then close and reopen the browser and try to login.
- I need to submit a proposal in Cayuse SP, but the Principal Investigator does not have a UC Davis appointment yet. The department may either (1) complete and process a Temporary Affiliate Form for the newly appointed individuals or (2) list the Department Chair as the Principal Investigator until the new individual is appointed.
- Why are no proposals appearing in Proposals in My Unit or no awards in Awards in My Unit? You need to obtain Proposal Data Access and/or Awards Data Access for the administering unit. Contact the Role Manager for your unit to request access. Instructions for identifying Role Managers and other assignments are available in the Handbook-Role-Managers and on the SPO YouTube Channel.
- How can I access a proposal not in my unit? Contact the Role Manager for the unit that is administering the proposal and request Proposal Data Access for that unit/department. Instructions for searching for department role assignments are available in the Handbook-Role-Managers and on the SPO YouTube Channel.
- Why are there Active Projects under My Awards and/or Awards in My Unit when I have no awards? Projects serve as the overarching “folder” in which proposals, awards and subawards/subcontracts are housed. Therefore, an award is not necessary for an Active Project to exist.
- Why can I not download or view attachments on a Project, Proposal, Award or Subaward? Access to attachments depends on the access level of the individual document/attachment and the user’s role. Users listed on the Investigators/Research Team of the corresponding Cayuse SP record (Project, Proposal, Award or Subaward) may access attachments unless the document has restricted access. For example, only Sponsored Programs and other Admin (Approving) Offices have access to documents placed in “Admin Office” view. Additionally, users with Proposal Data Access may view Proposal attachments. Users with Award Data Access may view Project, Award and Subaward attachments.
- How do I view the Role assignments for my or for another department/unit? Instructions for identifying Role Managers and other assignments are available in the Handbook-Role-Managers and on the SPO YouTube Channel.
- What do the various Cayuse SP Numbers mean and how to they relate to one another? Cayuse SP generates Project, Proposal, Award and Subaward Numbers. Each of these numbers is a unique identifier for that item. When a proposal is entered, Cayuse SP generates a Proposal Number. Once Sponsored Programs receives that Proposal, it is assigned to a Project Number. The Project Number is the “prime account” and links all associated Proposals, Awards and (outgoing) Subawards. While the Proposal Number is unique and does not correlate in terms of values to the Project Number, the Project Number is the base of the Award and Subaward Numbers.
- Is the proposal process mandatory, or can you go straight to creating the Award? Yes, the proposal process is mandatory. However, on occasion a proposal is not submitted through SPO before an award is received. In this case, the department administrator or PI will submit a brief proposal in Cayuse SP so the award may be processed.
- Do I still submit a Datasheet? The data sheet has been replaced by the Cayuse SP system and signature approvals will be electronic. We are no longer accepting data sheets.
- Does the historical data sheet information go anywhere and what happens after Cayuse SP is implemented? Yes, currently, the information goes into reports for the Vice Chancellor for Research.
- Is there a Conflict of Interest interface with Cayuse SP? No there is not, but details on filing Conflict of Interest disclosures may be found at: http://research.ucdavis.edu/policiescompliance/coi/.
- Can I submit my Financial Conflict of Interest (COI) disclosures in Cayuse SP? No. The COI system is different than Cayuse SP. Form 800, and other e-disclosures, are filed at: https://or-forms.ucdavis.edu.
- Does Cayuse SP integrate with NIH ASSIST? No, Cayuse SP does not support ASSIST. If using ASSIST or any other electronic submission system, give your assigned Sponsored Programs analyst access to your application in the other system or upload all documents in Cayuse SP.
- How are personnel and their roles added to Cayuse SP? We are leveraging the HR System to create new persons and adding salary and appointment information. Employees, post-docs and students in HR Connect are imported into the system. Any additional student not on that list will need to be added manually. People that are not employees can be set up with an affiliate ID. Furthermore, the Role Manager for each unit has the ability to assign roles.
- Does the system have reporting functions? Yes, but these reports are not currently accurate. It is not recommended that users run reports on the Reporting tab. However, the lists available from the Proposal Dashboard are accurate and may be exported to Excel.
- Will my Proposal/Internal Processing Form be reviewed without department chair and dean approval (if applicable)? No. Department chair(s) and applicable deans, when required, must authorize the Proposal/Internal Processing Form before Sponsored Programs can assign the Proposal/Internal Processing Form for review.
- Do the proposal approvals have to be done in sequence, or can the approvals be done simultaneously, for example, if there are multiple departments? Simultaneous approvals are possible depending on how the routing is defined and if the user (approver) wants to flag the approvals to be done in sequence or parallel. However, the Admin Unit must always approve first. Furthermore, any parent unit listed must be listed after the “child” unit. Instructions are available in the Cayuse SP Handbook for PIs, Department C&G Staff and Approvers.
- Is there an FYI or acknowledge approver? Yes, a user can be given access as an editor or viewer by the person initiating the proposal.
- Can an approver (Department Chair or Dean) establish delegates to review and approve proposals in his or her absence? Cayuse SP does not allow users to establish delegates. However, the assigned Role Manager for that unit may give others the appropriate access at any time. It is strongly recommended that at least two approvers be established for each unit.
- What happens if there is a personnel change to a Dean or Department Chair? The new Department Chair or Dean will need to be given approver access. There is a Role Manager in each department with responsibility of making such changes. SPO will not make changes to approvers.
- If an Internal Processing Form (IPF) Approver is changed after a proposal has been submitted for routing, will the new IPF Approver be able to view and approve or reject the proposal? Yes, the new IPF Approver should be able to review and approve or reject the proposal within 10 minutes of the change being made.
- Will Sponsored Programs begin a proposal review before all IPF Approvers have authorized the Proposal/IPF? No. The IPF/Proposal will not route to Sponsored Programs for review until IPF Approvals from the administering unit, units with Key Personnel involved in the proposal and the Dean’s Office, if applicable, have been obtained.
- How is Contracts and Grants Accounting (CGA) notified of new awards? CGA receives a report every morning at 4:00 am of new awards.
- What should I do if my Internal Processing Form (IPF)/Proposal is “stuck in routing?” First review the Units and Authorizing Person(s) listed on the Approvals tab. The status of each authorization is listed under Authorizing Decision. If a line under Authorizing Person(s) is blank or lists “OR Cayuse Help”, the proposal will not route to Sponsored Programs. Email ORCayuseHelp@ucdavis.edu with the Lead Principal Investigator’s name and Proposal Number. Then identify the correct unit to be used instead of the one listed on that same line, make the correction on the IPF and proceed as instructed by the Cayuse Help Desk.
- How can I view that status of a proposal? To view the status of a proposal, go to the My Proposals tab (if you are the initiator) or the Proposals in My Unit tab (if you are not the initiator and have the appropriate access). Filter the list by selecting Unsubmitted Proposals or Submitted Proposals.
- A proposal indicates it has been funded. Does this mean the associated award has been processed? The proposal status automatically changes to Funded when an associated award has been received or is forthcoming. Open the award (from the My Awards tab) to check the status.
- How can I view the status of an award? Instructions for viewing that status of an Award are available in the Quick Start Guide for Accessing Awards.
- How do I view the status of a subaward? Instructions for viewing the status of a Subaward are available in the Handbook for Accessing Subawards.
- How do I check the status of an Advance Account? To check the status, go to the Proposal for which the account was request. Then go to the Advance Accounts tab. The status will be listed as Authorized when/if it is approved. The primary contact will also be notified by SPO via email.
- What do the various statuses in Cayuse SP mean? See the relevant table below.
Proposal Status Definition
Unsubmitted Not submitted for routing
Dept Approval in Process Pending IPF approvals; submitted for routing
Admin Office in Process Received by SPO but not assigned
PS Review Under review by Proposals Analyst
CS Review Under review by Awards Analyst
Proposal Approved Proposal approved for submission to sponsor
Reopened Proposal was rejected by an IPF approver and may need revision
Submitted to Sponsor Proposal has been submitted to the sponsor
Withdrawn Proposal withdrawn by the Principal Investigator
Not Funded Proposal not funded by the sponsor or the IPF was submitted for a letter of intent or pre-proposal that was invited by the sponsor to submit a full proposal
JIT Request Received SPO or Principal Investigator received a JIT request from the sponsor
JIT Request Approved SPO has approved the JIT information provided by the Principal Investigator /department
JIT Request Unsubmitted The Principal Investigator decided not to submit JIT information
Funded Notice of Award received by the sponsor (This does not mean the award has been executed)
Award Status Definition
Pending The award is not fully executed
Active The award has been fully executed and routed to Contracts and Grants Accounting
Suspended The sponsor was requested to negotiate the award but no response has been received
Closed (Work Complete) Award is complete or terminated if reporting designation is Active/Obligated; Award was suspended by Sponsored Programs is reporting designation is: Pending/Anticipated
Subaward Status Definition
(Awaiting) Admin Dept Action is required by the Principal Investigator /department
(Awaiting) Award Mgr/Analyst Action is required by the Award Analyst
(Awaiting) Subcontractor Action is required by the Subcontractor/Subawardee
Fully Executed The Subaward/Subcontract is fully executed and has been sent to CGA
- Cayuse Quick Reference Guide – 1-page overview of left column of Cayuse SP proposal preparation screen
- Cayuse SP Tips – 7-page list of tips with screenshots to help avoid routing and assignment issues
- Quick Reference: Proposals – 8-page step-by-step instructions on proposal preparation with screenshots of Cayuse SP
- School of Medicine Cayuse SP Guidelines – 3-page guidelines for those submitting proposals in Cayuse SP for SOM approval
- Handbook for Department Contract & Grant Staff, Principal Investigators and Approvers – 70-page step-by-step instructions with screenshots on all aspects of Cayuse SP usage
Brief Youtube “How To…” videos:
- Access Cayuse SP (length: 1:31)
- Log-in to Cayuse (length: 0:35)
- Entering a Proposal/Internal Processing Form (IPF) – Overview (length: 2:46)
- Editing an Unsubmitted Proposal/IPF (length: 0:17)
- Edit a Submitted Proposal/IPF in Cayuse SP (length: 0:17)
- Approve Proposals/IPFs (length: 1:44)
- Certify a Proposal/IPF (length: 1:16)
- Check Proposal/IPF Status and SPO Assignment (length: 1:36)
- Cayuse SP – Entering Proposals – SPO Training Video (YouTube) on entering proposals in Cayuse SP (length: 53:45)
- Cayuse SP Lab Presentation – Slide deck for SPO Training Video: Cayuse SP – Entering Proposals
- Cayuse SP Lab/Activity Scenario – 1-page lab scenario for SPO Training Video: Cayuse SP – Entering Proposals
- Handbook for Department Contract & Grant Staff, Principal Investigators and Approvers – document referenced in presentation: 70-page step-by-step instructions with screenshots on all aspects of Cayuse SP usage